Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dot's Pastry Shop



So we want to find the "hidden gems" that OC has to offer. Well, Dot's Pastry Shop on 31st and Asbury isn't exactly hidden (Lauren and John have gone to it for years), but it really is a gem.

When John was little, his Dad would wake up every Sunday morning and get him and his sister donuts from Dot's. Lauren's grandparents would do the same for her and her sister. It made staying in Ocean City all the more special.


Now we finally had the chance to rate it and compare it to other donut places we've reviewed on this site and we have to say that Dot's is still really, really awesome. We picked some up on our way to the beach and ate them on the beach. They're famous for their glazed pretzel donuts and their cream donuts, which we both sampled. They're probably the best donuts we have ever had. They're not cake donuts, but delicious and perfectly crafted pastry that oozes with flavor and melts in your mouth. At 85 cents a piece, it's the cheapest breakfast you'll find on the island. Get there early, because their will probably be a line because Dot's rules.


John ate: Glazed Pretzel Donut, White Cream Donut, A

"I know I want to give a place an A rating when after I eat it I think about how awesome it was. A lot of times, I'll think it over and realize that place is probably more or less worth an A- or a B+ because I want to save the A's and A+'s for the best ever. Well, Dot's are the best donuts I've ever had. They're perfect size packed with amazing flavor. The cream donut has the sweetest and most delicious cream that I can imagine. The pretzel donut is awesome in it's own right just because it's a donut shaped like a pretzel. I highly recommend going to Dot's, it's just not a summer in Ocean City without them."


Lauren ate: Glazed Pretzel Donut, Chocolate Donut, A


"I always remembered Dot's being really good when my grandparents would have them for me hot and fresh first thing in the morning when I was younger. Even though John and I didn't exactly go first thing in the morning, I was still impressed with Dot's. The glazed pretzel donut was just as good as I rememeber it being for reasons that I can't describe. Just trust me, it's worth the 85 cents to get one of these. I also ate a chocolate frosted donut which was one of the best chocolate frosted donuts I've ever had. The frosting was really really chocolatey and sweet, which I don't usually get when I eat a chocolate frosted donut, sometimes the chocolate is just mediocre. Not this time! I would highly recommend Dot's to anyone looking for some really tasty dounts. I even told my boss that he must try it! There must be a reason it was so crowded in there! Everyone agrees, Dot's is great."

PS: Thanks to our families for turning us on to it throughout all these years!!

PSS: Happy Night in Venice!

3 comments:

  1. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm donuts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's better though - Dot's or Browns?

    Either way, friggin' delicious

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct, either way, they are "friggin' delicious". As per our Brown's review, we gave their donut's a B+ while we gave Dot's an A.

    Brown's donuts were cake donuts with the insides very cake-like. There really wasn't too much frosting on it and the frosting didn't have a whole lot of flavor and the donut itself was crispier and seemed to be covered in sugar. It was very good and a nice alternative to traditional donuts, but Dot's was amazing. They're more traditional donuts (I don't know what to call them, but they're like Dunkin Donuts donuts, but better).

    The flavor Dot's had was unbelievable, even the dough just seemed creamy. The chocolate icing was very rich as well. Therefore, we liked Dot's better.

    ReplyDelete