Friday, September 3, 2010

Smitty's Clam Bar in Somers Point




So it’s been a while since we have updated our blog!  Sorry for the delay, but about 2 weeks ago we went to the Clam Bar in Somers Point.  We had heard good things about the Clam Bar so it was something that we had wanted to try out for a while.  Additionally, any time we drove by it there appeared to be a line waiting to get into it, so we figured it had to be good.
We got there a little bit before noon.  They serve breakfast till about 11:00 and close up for about an hour to change over for lunch.  It was a good thing we got there when we did because a line was already forming even before it opened for lunch.  The menu served mostly seafood dishes but had some interesting sandwich options such as a crab burger and a shrimp burger.  The service was friendly and the atmosphere was nice because its right on the bay, but we were disappointed with our food.  We recommended clam chowder, and that was very good, but we both thought they were lacking a lot of flavor and were expecting a little bit more.  Due to the fact that lines that are always outside of it, we both agreed we’d try it again sometime.
John ate: Clam Chowder, B+, Fried Shrimp with French fries, C, 
“Admittedly, I am not the world’s biggest seafood eater with the exception of shrimp, crab, and the occasional lobster.  The menu served mostly fish, so I was kind of stuck getting fried shrimp.  The shrimp wasn’t that great.  They were big pieces but they seemed to be a little too greasy.  Also, the French fries were nothing special.  They were greasy as well and very soft.  The positive thing was the clam chowder, which was excellent.”
  

Lauren ate: Baked Salmon in Lemon & Wine Sauce:  B-
 "The Clam Bar was so nice sitting right on the bay.  However, I feel like I partially have myself to blame to not liking my meal too much.  You can choose what sort of sauce you want your seafood baked in.  I chose Lemon & Wine which the waitress said tasted good with salmon.  It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t really good either.  I didn’t want to finish it and was not really satisfied.  I wonder if it would have been better in a different sauce.  The Clam Chowder was pretty good.  Definitely better than the entrée, but I’ve had better. I’d go back again just for the location on the bay and maybe I’d try something for dinner when they seem to have more choices.  Overall though, I’d stay in Ocean City for a seafood on the bay experience!"

No comments:

Post a Comment